Monday, February 15, 2010

Day 2....

Now with a mornings worth of experience behind us we tackle day two.  It really is more of the same.  I start doing more yoga and brain gym exercises with them and they really love it.  I show them Diamond Breath and Mountain, Crescent Moon and Tree.  We do some cross lateral exercises, which they do find challenging, but typical for their ages.  As the day progresses we begin to realize some of these kids are really smart.  Eager to learn and ready for more, a challenge in the one room school house, but as we walk around and group them by level we begin to see progress.

The children begin to signal me when it is time for a yoga break.  They will start to breathe and count breaths; they know it makes them feel better.  Outside today we stayed in the front yard, with the “shade” and play calmer games.  The heat is difficult.  They seem to be as bothered by the heat as us, which surprises me.  Suddenly we are back inside.  What about Porridge?  I ask the teacher and she says not today.  Not today? I reply….

The children are miserable.  Hot and hungry.  I suggest they put their heads down and I will sing to them.  I start to sing, “ Hush little baby” and walk around patting their heads.  It is hard for me not to cry.  I choke on the words and just start to “la la la” and it occurs to me La La in Swalhili is sleep.  They look up at me an smile and fall a sleep, it is peaceful and calm in Jenedeleze.

2 comments:

Joanne Costantino said...

Nice. Good job!

Randi Venema said...

So thrilled to be have found your blog. What a blessing to have this experience.