Wednesday, February 10, 2010

First day Jitters

First day jitters, Tuesday 2/10/10

Flash cards, books, paper, my bag was packed for the first day of school.

Our first day we spent some time in a traditional village, walking through the rough dirt paths with ruts that had been carved out by the torrential rains of the rainy season.  By the depth and width of these ruts it is hard to imagine life in this village during the rains. 

Dole a local CCS volunteer and Sara were leading us through the twists and turns of navigating the village.  Mama Dole invited us to see her home.  The gate out front was large and impressive, but the home was humble and simple.  Roosters roamed the yard as well as grand children.  I felt honored to have been welcomed by Mama.

The landscape is very rough, banana trees, and maize are cultivated. But the rain has not come and neither has the maize.  Our group of 9 is greeted by the village children and they are sweet and adorable.  The kids are fascinated by our digital cameras and love to have their pictures taken.  As we walk further into the village the huts are traditional mud and wood.  The women wear traditional dress and are working very hard.  Children and babies are everywhere and my American mind is amazed at the amount of hazards these children navigate; ditches, trash holes, rocks, fires, bugs, water holes… the list is endless.  And they are okay.  Not a helmet or an elbow pad, the idea is funny to even think about.  There is a fair share of infected cuts and bites on there young skin but by their smiles you can see they have no worries.  Babies as young as a year old are toddling around, with maybe a sibling somewhere close by.  Our group startled on baby, and she began to cry, her mother appeared in a heart beat and swept her up to comfort her.  It reminded me how we are all the same, the same things matter regardless of where you live.   

There were times on this walk that I thought my husband would freak out if he saw me here (sorry honey).  Honestly, I always felt safe, but I did think of the mosquitoes and the malaria and it made me a bit uncomfortable.  I have not gotten bitten yet.   I wear my DEET and take my Malarone ( anti-malaria pills).  Hakuna Matata … No worries…

No comments: