Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Orientation, Monday 2/9/10

Orientation, Monday 2/9/10

Monday we were given some information regarding our assignments and things to read from previous volunteers.  I am partnered with a bright young women from NYC, Ali, and we were reading every thing we could about our Nursery School.  The comments were alarming!  “Kids are out of control”, “the teachers are not helpful”, “ Be prepared to teach right a way”…. One room with 50 children ages 2.5 – 6 yrs, and nobody speaks English, no supplies!  When we met other volunteers, and told them where we were assigned to Jendeleze School they looked at us with pity and concern. 

Later that day the teachers from the school were coming to meet us at home base.  I had prepared a list of questions, until Mama Grace ( our house mother, yes her name is Grace!) translated for us we were not doing very well.  When Mama joined Ali and I, we fired away with questions and ideas.  After the meeting Ali and I knew we needed to get our act together quick, so we put together our lesson plans.  Since neither of us are Nursery School teachers we were struggling. And the language barrier was scary. 

I was having a very difficult time expecting 2 & 3 year olds to sit for more than 20 mins. at a time.  I was having anxiety about the “potty” (basically a hole in the ground) and just could not imagine how or why this could work.  We were told to work on counting, letters, English, science, and writing… Huh?? And Art and Music.  A one room school house with 50 Swahalli speaking children ages 2.5 – 6.  I thought “out of control” was an understatement.  I thought about my Yoga bag of tricks, and thought maybe that will help?  Who am I kidding?

No comments: