Thursday, February 4, 2010

Off to Africa...Stepping into the journey

Well the day has finally arrived. Tonight I leave for Tanzania. I feel like all the preparations, fund raising, and community efforts have come together and now it is time to step into the journey.

My assignment is teaching at a Nursery school which is run by a Muslim Widow and Orphans group. My understanding is that it is in a very depressed area and there are few supplies at this school. I am nervous, first day jitters... I guess you would say. Teaching Nursery School is challenging enough,but when you add in the language barrier and times that by 40 children, well you get the idea. I consider myself creative and able to punt, so I will plan too much and be ready for anything... Yoga anyone?? Can we just Breathe? I will need to figure out how to say that in Swahilli, Lesson 1.

Before I head off, I need to thank all of you for the support and encouragement you have given me over the past year. Not only have you helped me raise the money to volunteer for this effort, you have encouraged me and inspired me with your care and interest.

My intention is to update the blog daily. It takes two days to get there, so maybe by Monday I will be able to get something posted. It might take me a few days to figure out the routine. I think I will need to venture to an internet cafe to do my online stuff. I will figure it all out and keep you as up to date as possible.

Feel free to comment, ask questions and such. I would like to stay grounded and connected to all of you out there.

Peace,
Kat
aka (Kathleen, Leen, Mom and Una)

5 comments:

Joanne Costantino said...

Safe Journey, Cous. Have a safe and enriching trip! I can't wait to read your stories.

Joani said...

It will be a great experience. I just ran into a friend who just did a short film on the Congo, in Africa. He is part of a new organization called Heart. And they too are raising money for the war torn and struggling Congo area of Africa. There site is called StartAtTheHeart.com

Well, good luck and have fun.
Joani

Joani said...

It will be a great experience. I just ran into a friend who just did a short film on the Congo, in Africa. He is part of a new organization called Heart. And they too are raising money for the war torn and struggling Congo area of Africa. There site is called StartAtTheHeart.com

Well, good luck and have fun.
Joani

Anonymous said...

Kat -

Have a wonderful experience. Your doing a terrific thing and I know how seeing all those children will impact you in a very profound way. It is life changing... Stay safe.

Best, Denise Correia
Mom to Ethan, Bella and Aeryn

Nina Stout, Functional Medicine Consultant said...

Awesome, Kat!! I'll be thinking of you. Look forward to your posts!